Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Abstract The collection consists of news clippings related to the South Richmond Plan. The majority of the news clippings date from January 1970-December 1973. There are also a few articles from 1978 and 2002. In addition, the collection contains a draft of the Outline Structure for the South Richmond Act (February 1971).
Dates: 1970 - 2002
Abstract Waterfront Watch was an organization of environmentalists from the South Shore of Staten Island. Their purpose was to fight the passage of the South Richmond Development Corporation Bill. Ultimately, the bill failed to pass the New York State Assembly and was never reintroduced. Collection materials cover the years 1971 to 1974, with the bulk of materials from February 1973 to May 1973. The collection contains 2 correspondence, publications, lobbying packets, financial records, photographs,...
Dates: 1971 - 1974
Abstract The Protectors of Pine Oak Woods is an environmental conservation advocacy group dedicated to the preservation of Staten Island’s natural resources and heritage. The organization was founded to preserve Pine Oak Woods (now known as the Clay Pit Pond State Park Preserve) on Staten Island’s south shore. In the decades since the group has successfully lobbied for the addition of thousand of acres to Staten Island’s park system, including Blue Heron Park, Kingfisher Park and the Greenbelt.
Abstract This collection helps document the activities of the Staten Island Citizens Planning Committee in stopping the proposed construction of a highway through the Staten Island Greenbelt.
Dates: 1966 - 1989
Abstract Lou Figurelli (9/5/1928-11/5/1994), a commercial fisherman and sportsman who lived on a boat in Lemon Creek on the Coast of Staten Island was an activist in the fight to protect Raritan Bay and Lower New York Harbor. He founded the Natural Resources Protective Association (NRPA) in 1977, of which James Scarcella was later president. This collection includes materials from the era of Figurelli’s leadership, but mostly consists of papers documenting the activities of NRPA during Scarcella’s...
Dates: 1977 - 2015
- Subject: Environmentalism -- New York (State) -- Richmond County X
- City planning--New York (State)--New York--Richmond County 1
- City planning--New York (State)--New York. 1
- Dredged Material Management Plan 1
- Great Kills Harbor (New York, N.Y.) 1
- Greenbelt, The (New York, N.Y.) 1
- Lobbying 1
- NASCAR (Association) 1
- Natural areas--New York (State)--Richmond County. 1
- New York (N.Y.). Department of City Planning 1
- New York Harbor (N.Y. and N.J.) 1
- Parks--New York (State)--Richmond County. 1
- Protectors of Pine Oak Woods 1
- Roads--Design and construction--Environmental aspects. 1
- Staten Island Citizens Planning Committee 1
- United States. Army. Corps of Engineers 1 ∧ less